Saturday, October 25, 2008

First Offense


Emmie brought me these two bears and excitedly told me her teacher had given them to her. I could tell they were from the math kit at school. I told her I knew she had taken them. She insisted her teacher really did give them to her. I knew I could debate this with her for days and eventually accuse her of stealing them. I decided to change my tactic. I told her that was really nice for her teacher to give them to her and, well, she ought to write her a really nice thank you note. Not a moment passed and Emmie suddenly changed her story. "Actually I found these in my pocket and I accidentally brought them home." Then a split second later she obviously realized she could still potentially be in trouble for this act also she added, "Esperanza put them in my pocket and I found them now." I had a careful discussion with her not wanting to scold her too harshly. She never really did cop to the truth but it's her first offense and I don't want her to harbor the guilt forever. She knows Jesus wouldn't be happy and it would make her teacher sad. She can't wait to return them. Oh please let this be the first and last problem of this kind.

1 comment:

Keri said...

Ah, the trickery begins! How is it that our children think they can slip things by us so easily! I love the writing a thank you idea--brilliantly handled. What a great mom you are!