Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Emmie Can Read!


We got this free map of the world in the mail this morning. I hung it up on the counter so the kids could see it. Emmie was over there saying, "There's China, and Japanese and Iceland and Greenland." I thought she was just naming off countries we had talked about since the Olympics. I went over to show her where the countries really were and she showed me! In fact she found them faster than I did. I asked her how she knew where the countries were and she said she just read them.

She was surprised to know there was an actual Greenland. The kids have a place they call Greenland behind the house Scott stays in when he is working at Marshall Hospital. It's a fairly small patch of mossy turf some trees grow out of.

I corrected her and told her the country was called Japan and she laughed and was so embarrassed she had called it Japanese.

I received a note home last week telling me Emmie's kindergarten class was "...having fun learning about the letter C!" I may have to have a talk with the teacher. Emmie is obviously ready to move on.


1 comment:

Keri said...

Hooray Emmie! Don't you just love how slow things move in kindergarten? lily is sent home with the simplest little readers to hold onto and read over and over--whatever. We just do our own thing at the house!