Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Homemade Caramel


I really wanted apples and caramel like you get in Apple Hill. They sell the caramel for $11 a pint but that just seems ridiculous. So I did a lot of searching for the recipe but they keep the caramel recipe secret. Maybe they sell it in one of their cookbooks but not the original version that I have. I found this recipe from the Rainbow Orchards farm website where they don't have a bake shop but they do sell apples.
1/2 cup real butter
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup corn syrup
14 oz condensed milk

Melt butter. Add sugar and syrup. Bring to boil stirring constantly. Add milk. Bring to boil stirring constantly to 240 degrees.

Pretty simple! Sure beats unwrapping hundreds of those little Brach's caramels which were the kind of recipes I was finding while searching for a good homemade recipe.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: